Recognizing the gift of respite for the families of intellectually disabled youth
May 26, 2022
Jill’s House is a Christian Nonprofit organization that provides families raising kids with intellectual disabilities, ages 6–17, with short-term overnight respite care in the DC metro area and around the country. Kids enjoy fun activities tailored to their interests and abilities for 24–48-hour stays, while their parents get a chance to rest and recharge. Jill’s House offers care for the whole family through regularly scheduled sibling nights, parent support groups and family retreats.
Rest is vital for families raising kids with intellectual disabilities, due to the high amount of stress they face every day. Respite care is proven to reduce this stress by 60% within the first night and helps create a healthier environment of balance for the family as a whole.
To date, Jill’s House has served over 1,000 families at its location in Vienna, Virginia and an additional 300+ through their Weekend Adventures camps in four locations across the country: Blue Ridge, VA near Middleburg; Windy City, IL near Chicago; Rocky Top, TN near Nashville; and Puget Sound, WA near Seattle. The organization has provided over one million hours of respite to families of kids with intellectual disabilities.
Activities that Jill’s House offers include pet therapy, arts and crafts, a gym and bounce house, a wheelchair accessible pool, music therapy, sensory rooms, indoor and outdoor play areas, educational show and tells and community meals.
- First Lady Suzanne S. Youngkin Announces May 2022 Spirit of Virginia Award Recipient - First Lady Press Release
- Spirit of Va. Award gifted to Jill's House, Fairfax Co. nonprofit helping disabled kids - WJLA
- Commonwealth's First Lady presents second Spirit of Virginia Award to NOVA nonprofit - WRIC
- Jill’s House receives Spirit of Virginia Award - Fairfax County Times
- Respite-care facility wins kudos from governor, first lady - Sun Gazette
- Nonprofit for Special Needs Kids Jill’s House Receives Spirit of Virginia Award - The Virginia Star
Official Governor Youngkin Photos by Shealah Craighead
Please direct questions and inquiries to email@example.com.